Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Healthy And Tasty


I was searching for an easy slice to make today. I couldn't be bothered rolling or scooping cookie dough and wanted something without a heap of steps. I found this one in a cookbook from the library that I'm quietly impressed with - I think I'll be renewing it rather than returning it tomorrow as I have a few more recipes I want to try yet. This one was a big hit - it tastes great and I got to use up some of the polenta I'd bought for another recipe. The slice itself is rather more cake-like than I had been expecting and I wasn't too sure about the texture at first. The polenta makes it kind of gritty, but it's not unpleasant. I'll be making this one again.





Fruity Polenta Slice
Everday Cooking by Allan Campion and Michele Curtis




1 tablespoon honey
1 cup hot tea
2 cups dried fruit (I had sultanas, apricots and apple so used them)
1 cup polenta
1 2/3 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
200g butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of 1 lemon (left it out)
2 tablespoons lemon juice (used water instead)
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 180˚C.
Dissolve the honey in hot tea, add the dried fruit and set aside to soak. Allow to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Butter a lamington tin, line the sides and bottom with greaseproof paper and butter lightly.
Combine the polenta, flour, sugars, butter and cinnamon. Rub together until the mixture has a fine breadcrumb texture. Add the lemon zest, juice and eggs, and mix well. Drain the dried fruit thoroughly and add it to the mix. Stir well.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared lamington tray and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Slice into wedges to serve.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

This looks yummy!

You're right about the polenta though, it's a very different texture. I'm happily getting used to it though, because I've started making lots of cornbread : )

cheers,

kaz

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hi Kaz - I must admit that it grew on me, and the kids loved it. We'll be making it again!

ruddygood said...

I know what you mean about the Allen Campion cookbook "Everyday Cooking" - I have also just borrowed it from the library, have been impressed with everything I've made so far, was planning to renew it, too. I actually made my way to your blog via an online search for the book, 'cos I think I'm going to have to buy it! And now I'm here I like what I see, so I look forward to catching up with you again - we share a passion for cooking. Thanks for posting!