I whipped this up for dinner over the weekend. It was quick, simple and everyone dug in. That makes it a winner in my book. As you can see from my notes, I adapted the recipe somewhat based on what I had at hand.
from The Ugly Binder
1 x 375g packet penne pasta ( I used 300g, and yeah, they are spirals not penne!)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 bacon rashers (strips), thinly sliced
200g button mushrooms, quartered (thought I had some but... I didn't, so they weren't in there)
2 chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced (I had three so used them all)
1 tablespoon plain flour
2 tablespoons dry sherry (oops, used Hubby's good aged port!)
1 x 375ml can evaporated milk (I used the light version)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaved
extra parsley to garnish.
1. Add pasta to a large pan of boiling water; boil, uncovered, until just tender. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, heat half the olive oil in a large pan. Add bacon rashers; cook stirring until browned all over. Add button mushrooms. Cook, stirring until tender, remove from pan.
3. Coat chicken in flour, shake away excess. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add chicken, in batches; cook until browned all over and cooked through.
4. Add bacon and mushrooms to chicken in pan, stir in combined sherry and evaporated milk. Cook, stirring for a few minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
5. Add chicken mixture and parsley to pasta; toss until combined.
6. Serve pasta garnished with fresh parsley.