Monday, January 12, 2009

It's Raining Fruit!

A neighbour has dropped in a bucket load of fruit in the past couple of weeks, mostly apricots and peaches. There have been three or so deliveries so far and there is far too much fruit for our family to eat, even after I pass it on to my parents and whoever else we happen to see. Most of the fruit is very ripe so needs to be used fairly quickly so I've been scouring the cookbooks for interesting recipes.


I made some yummy apricot jam with the last lot. I've made jam before, both nectarine and strawberry, but never apricot and I was pleased with how it turned out. It was sweet but not cloyingly so, although it did set a little more solidly than was entirely necessary. I used some of it for the Thumbprint Cookies/Jam Drops. How impressive is that? Homemade right down to the jam filling!





We had another lot of fruit dropped in this afternoon and, as we have friends coming to play in the morning, I decided to try an Apricot Slice. It's still cooling on the bench so I'll have to let you know how it turned out in the morning but it sure does smell good. I was moaning to Hubby that it didn't look as good as the picture in the recipe book and he came back with,"Yeah, but I bet 9 out of 10 people would rather eat your slice than the picture in the book!" I must have looked at him blankly because then he added, "Because the picture's made of paper so only one person out of 10 would like that!" Then he fell about laughing. Because he's crazy.

4 comments:

Melody said...

And you said to your husband "Boom, boom!"

Okay, maybe not.

Your slice looks delicious....mmmmm....I can imagine how lovely it smelt and I am sure those fresh biscuits would have been just as lovely baking in the oven.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Oh I so wish I had, Melody! Nah, I just looked at him like he was a complete idiot and then gave him the sarcastic-long-suffereing-wife laugh LOL. The slice did smell fab- it was cooling on the bench as I wrote this post and it was veeerrry tempting.

Unknown said...

Wow...that's like something my dad would say (or even me maybe!). They'd probably rather eat yours, too, b/c it's real. I bet the one in the picture isn't totally edible. Looks great! I'm jealous of your fruit...we're still surviving on winter fruit here, though I did pick out a FANTASTIC cantelope the other day!

Anonymous said...

Looks okay from where I'm sitting Mandi... and your hubby does have a good point - as well as a funny sense of humour - hahaha!