Friday, April 10, 2009

Tweet Tweet

I know Twitter has been around for a while but I'm just catching up with it now. It seems that it has been in the news everywhere I've looked for the past few weeks. I've notice more and more blogs adding their Twitter feed, it seems that everyone on Facebook is talking about it, it appears to have become the 'hot new thing' on the radio station I listen to in the morning and it was even on the evening news a couple of times this week.
To be honest, I'm not sure I quite get all the fuss. Then again, I said that about Facebook too and now I'm a firm fan so.... I decided to sign up and give it a go. I've added the button into my sidebar, click on it and it'll take you over to my updates. I'm sure they'll be thrilling and scintillating. Um, not!
So a couple of questions for the Twitt-a-holics amongst us. Do you tweet from the computer or your mobile phone or a combination of both? Call me paranoid and crazy but I haven't signed on for the phone part yet - it just kinda scares me - though I can see that it would make it much easier. How often do you tweet? Do you make a real effort to come up with interesting updates or do you just update with whatever is happening? To be honest, if I waited for interesting it might be weeks between tweets! Got any other tips or hints that might make the initial stages easier? Anyone you think is an absolute must to follow?

4 comments:

Deborah C-K said...

I signed up the other day, put the link on the blog, then took it off again - I would probably put in one tweet a month! And honestly, who cares that I've just been to the supermarket, or picked L up from school? Plus, it seems like an invitation to stalkers (not that I have any)..
Maybe I'm just getting old!

Deborah

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Thanks Deborah, that's kind of how I feel but at the same time I was starting to feel a bit left out. I'm going to try it for a bit longer but I'm not sure I'll be in it long term.

Dr. Alice said...

Hi, found your blog via Kitchen Hand (verygoodcooking). I wasn't sure I'd use Twitter either but it turns out I use it a lot! I do think it's useful for quick communication between friends and family, but lots of people also use it for advertising and their jobs.

Who to follow. There's something called Follow Friday where users post links to their favorite Twitter users. Also quite a few celebs use it (I hear some of them even have ghostwriters for their tweets, which strikes me as ridiculous). You can also do a keyword search on your favorite topics and you may turn up people you'd like to follow that way.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hi Dr Alice, thanks for stopping by AND leaving a comment. I'm still twittering and gradually finding some I'm interested in following simply by looking at who others I'm following are following (hmm.. grammar issues much?) Thanks for the tip about Follow Friday - I'll be sure to check it out.