Nothing big, just little bits that are making me smile at the moment:
- Offspring #1 seems to have settled into the school year very nicely. He likes his teacher, has organised himself a couple of playdates and is happy to head off to school each morning. It's a proud Mummy smile, tempered with a bit of a relief-style smile.
- In a similar vein, because school is going well #1 is just that bit easier to cope with. He's a routine kinda kid (he gets it from me, poor kid) so by the end of the long, long, summer holidays he was a little bit beside himself. Now we're back into a proper routine he's feeling more settled and we're getting to see his normal sweet self instead of the devil-child he has been lately. I've been getting lots of hugs, lots of "I love you's" and the odd cheeky smack on the butt as he wanders past. That's definitely a relieved smile.
- One of my bestest bud's called me this morning. Normally when the phone rings just after 7 in the morning I'd not be expecting great news, instead I heard a chirpy "hello!" and got the best surprise. She was trying to work out something on facebook and it wouldn't work so instead of emailing to ask me she gave me a quick call. She's still on the other side of the country but it was so good to hear her voice. That one was a happy, happy, happy smile.
- I have three different books on the go at the moment. I don't normally read three at the same time but I wasn't loving the first one so started on the second and didn't love that either and started on the third and now I just pick up whichever one is closest. I keep getting the characters confused and the plot-lines tangled and, when you consider that one is a gothic-y ghost-y story, one's a murder mystery and the other one is a sci-fi novel that's just funny in itself. This one's a "yes, I'm a fool" kind of smile.
- Last night I frightened the crap out of myself. Then completely cracked myself up when I realised what had scared me. I was sitting at the computer and could see a light flashing in the back yard. We've a few solar lights in the garden but this was more like a flashlight. Of course in my head that meant there was someone in the yard. With a flashlight. And probably a big knife. To murder us all in our sleep. You get where I'm going with this right? I freaked out long enough for my breathing to become shallow and my heart-rate to rocket. Then I realised that the reason I could see the light was because the kitchen blinds were up. Which meant... it was my mirror ball in the back patio reflecting the kitchen lights. Doh! That there is a "I'm a complete moron and I'm glad hubby wasn't here to see this ridiculous-ness" kind of smile. Actually I laughed out loud at myself, partly in sheer relief.
- And the last one for today belongs to Offspring #2. At the moment she's having a growth spurt with regards to her language skills. She's discovered some big words and she's loving them. Certainly, definitely and seriously are at the top of her list and each time she comes out with them I just smile and smile. Then go into another room and giggle. She certainly is funny. And she definitely knows how to use them in the right context. And she makes me smile, seriously.