Hubby is not a fan of baked cheesecakes. He thinks they are dry and crumbly and generally not very nice. He's quite vocal in his dislike of them refusing to order a baked cheesecake off a dessert menu and generally making rude comments if I so much as suggest making one. Luckily for all of us I quite often pay no attention at all to his moaning and whinging and go on my merry way making whatever takes my fancy. And so I present for the you the creamiest, smoothest, yummiest baked cheesecake I have ever tasted. It was easy to make, looked spectacular and impressed all who tasted it. Even Hubby. It impressed him so much he wants me to make another one really really soon.
Baked Cheesecake with Passionfruit Topping
from Good Taste magazine, June 2009
1 x 250g pkt plain sweet biscuits (I used Arnott's Nice biscuits)
125g unsalted butter, melted
2 x 250g pkts cream cheese, at room temperature
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs plain flour
125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
1 Tbs cornflour
80ml (1/3 cup) water
1 x 170g can passionfruit pulp
55g (14 cup) caster sugar, extra
1. Release the base from a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan and invert. Line with non-stick baking paper, allowing sides to overhang. Secure the base back into the pan.
2. Place biscuits in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely crushed. Add butter. Process until well combined. Transfer to pan. Use the back of a spoon to spread and press firmly over the base ands side of pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
3. Preheat oven to 160C. Use an electric beater to beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon rind in a large bowl until smooth. Add the lemon juice and flour. Beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the c ream and beat until well combined.
4. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the biscuit base. Place on a baking tray. Bake in oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until the cheesecake is just set in the centre*. Turn the oven off. Leave the cheesecake in the oven, with the door slightly ajar, for two hours or until cooled completely (this prevents the cake from cracking). Place in fridge overnight to set.
5. Combine the cornflour and water n a small bowl. Transfer to a saucepan. Add the passionfruit and extra sugar. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens. Set aside to cool slightly. Pour over cheesecake. Place in fridge until set.
*Don't worry if the cheesecake is slightly wobbly in the centre when you turn off the oven - it becomes firmer as it cools.