Monday, March 29, 2010

Something Warm

As the weather cools down after a long hot summer in our part of the world it's almost a relief to be looking to warm dishes for dinners. I remembered making this tuna pie some time ago and thought I'd blogged it at the time but, apparently not. I don't know why I didn't - I wasn't wrong in remembering it as being tasty, filling and just the right thing as summer turns to autumn.

Be warned - the recipe serves 10. When I made it I halved everything except the tin of tuna and had enough for about 6 serves.

Creamy Fish Pie
from an advertising feature in Australian Table, July 2007


425g can tuna in oil
1 large leek, washed, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 tablespoons chopped dill
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 egg lightly beaten
2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
500g potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup (120g) grated extra tasty cheese


1. Preheat oven to 200C. Drain tuna, reserving 2 tablespoons of oil. Heat reserved oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook leek and carrot for 10 minutes until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add tuna, herbs, lemon rind, eggs and cream. Stir gently, breaking up largest chunks of tuna. Pour into a 15 x 25cm baking dish.
2. Spread potato over top, overlapping. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is bubbling. Serve.

1 comment:

Chicken Willow said...

Yum...that's definitely getting added to my recipe book! Thanks.