Tuesday, May 18, 2010

More From The 'Hiding Vegies' Files

Sorry, this week's been all about food and picky kids. Actually, just one picky kid. The other kid is an absolute champ when it comes to food. Anyway, the food and pickiness posts continue.

Tonight I made a tuna and potato bake for dinner and was working with one hand tied behind my back from the very beginning. Hubby's gastric reflux is playing up at the moment and we have, through much trial and error, discovered that onion - both raw and cooked - is a major trigger so I took the onion off the list of ingredients. Offspring #2 has been so great with her dinner the past couple of nights that I didn't want to serve up something she was going to refuse to eat and destroy the pleasant-ness we have achieved so next I went looking for ways to hide some vegies in the dish.

First step: again following Jo MacD's tip (sorry Jo, I spelt it wrong yesterday) from the comments box I added some steamed mashed cauliflower to the mashed potato. Then onto adding something to the tuna part. I substituted some sauteed celery for the onion and added some mixed dried herbs, grated carrot and grated zucchini to the frypan to fry gently for a minute or two, then added a large tin of tuna, let it warm up a little and splashed in some cream along with some salt and pepper. Then I just popped the tuna mixture into an ovenproof dish, topped it with the mashed potatoes, add some grated cheese and bunged it into a moderate oven for about 25-30 minutes.

Whinging: 0 / Mum: Winning the fight!

4 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Our Grandma used to make us kids extra-food... picky kids, uhhh I was one! ;-)

Clever ideas of yours, yay to success!

B and the boys said...

Keep going with hide the veggies, I am getting a lot of terrific ideas! found yucky spicy stuff for my nail biter at the pharmacy and tried it, I think it did make him think twice before biting-- thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Well done... I'm pinching your recipe so I can try it with our 2yo - the little bugger! ;-)

Got him to put four different fruit and vege into his head by using tomato soup as a 'vehicle'... it worked!

Well - as long as he had enough grilled cheese on toast fingers to dip that is... I had to feed him his left-over soup - but he ate most of it lol!

Yayyyyyyy... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Mandi, I too am loving your game of hide the vegies! Cauli worked a treat and I might even try this tuna bake with the fish-loving folk in our house! Carrot, zucchini and mushrooms are regular inclusions in my spaghetti sauce and the kids have never complained. Keep the ideas coming! Kaz x