Thursday, October 25, 2007



Here's another recipe that has been in the Ugly Binder for a while. I kept putting it off because of Offspring #2's hatred of pumpkin but finally decided to make it and pull the pumpkin bits out of her serving. Defeatist, I know, but I am sick of fighting with the kids at dinner time. They are generally very good but they both have a stubborn streak about a mile wide (hmmm... now where could that have come from??? LOL) and they are being fussy and painful at the moment.




Hubby and I really enjoyed this. It was tasty, easy and used up the leftover chicken quite nicely. Offspring #1 was very tired and being a big grump so I'm not going to count his opinion as I know that generally he would like this sort of dish. #2? Yeah, she lived up to expectations and ate the cheese out of the salad.




I had some of the leftovers for lunch and it is just as yummy cold the next day. I'll make this one again. Oh, and the photo? No, the vege bake isn't sitting on newspaper, the baking dish is clear glass and that is sitting on the newspaper!


Di's Vege Bake
Super Food Ideas, February 2007






Serves 6


5 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 carrot, peeled, grated (they were small so I used 2)
1 zucchini, trimmed, grated
4 green onions, finely chopped (didn't have any so I diced a brown onion and sauteed it with some dried mixed herbs)
150g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
4 cup mushrooms, chopped (I used about 10 button mushrooms)
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped (didn't add this, see the note about the onion)



I also used the leftover chicken meat from the previous nights roasted chicken pieces. I guess I added about 1 1/2 cups worth.



1. Preheat oven to 190C. Grease a 4cm deep, 20cm (base) square baking dish.
2. Whisk eggs and oil together in a jug. Combine flour, cheese, carrot, zucchini, onions, pumpkin, mushrooms and parsley (and the leftover chicken meat) in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add egg mixture and stir to combine.
3. Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared dish. Smooth surface. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and set. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve hot or cold.



No comments: