Thursday, December 06, 2007

Gift Making

I'm away for work for a couple of days again next week and knew that I wouldn't be able to fit in a baking session for teacher's gifts. I put on my thinking cap and had a search through some old magazines and came across this cute idea in a Christmas issue of Better Homes and Gardens from a few years ago.







I was pleasantly surprised with how inexpensive these turned out to be. Each gift ended up costing about $7 and I had them all put together in under a couple of hours, even with Offspring #1 helping! To bake a nice bundle of mixed cookies for each of his four teachers (yep, 4!) and put them in something pretty would have taken much longer and ended up costing the same, if not more, so I was pretty pleased. Also I could make these last weekend when I had a little time and then just leave them sitting around till I needed them rather than having to bake myself into a frenzy the night before I needed them.




The little terracotta pots and the ribbon trimming them came from the local craft store, the candles were from a home-wares store and ridiculously cheap, the papers on the candles were from my craft stuff and the "pretty bit" on the front is a very inexpensive Christmas ornament from Kmart. They were all very easy to get hold of which is an absolute necessity here in Red Dirt Central since we have only one craft shop and one home-wares shop so if they don't have it and you can't find it at Coles, Kmart or Woolies then you're out of luck.





Anyway, I was pleased with how they turned out and I'm hoping the teachers will like them too.








6 comments:

Melody said...

They look terrific. Bet the teachers love them too. I'd love to recieve a present like that... My dad was a Primary Teacher/Principal and he used to come home each end-of-year day with stacks of cards and pressies... My dad was never a big chocolate eater but he used to get so many blocks/boxes of chocolate I used to think 'all my' Christmases had come at once. Though, I think my mum thought the same...

Unknown said...

Im sure they'll like these...they're just beautiful!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hi Melody - I used to get lots of choccies too but also got girly stuff like pretty soaps and the odd Christmas ornament too. I think primary school teachers 'score'lots more than high school teachers!

Thanks Claire!

CC said...

I absolutely love your blog. I plan to come back often to read it all... Cizzie...aka CC
P.S. I am a Texas blogger and rather new..maybe someday, mine will be as interesting as yours..

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hi Cizzie aka CC! Thanks for stumbling across my blog and I'm so glad you like it. I'm not always sure it's very interesting but it's a cheap form of therapy LOL! I'd love to see your blog (if you felt like sharing it with me).

Anonymous said...

I would love you to see my blog.., tho it's a work in progress..its: http://mygardenfence.blogspot.com/