Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Delish Winter Dish!

I'm having some trouble acclimatising to the weather here in Perth. I don't like being cold normally and knew that I would be coming home to freeze, at least this first winter back. To illustrate the problems I'm having - Tuesday's maximum temp here (22C) was the same as Monday night's minimum temp in Red Dirt Central! Now do you see what I'm talking about?


But every downside has an upside and the upside of this is that I'm having fun searching for robust winter-type fare. This one hit the spot beautifully, even without the garlic as I'd forgotten it in the shopping-trip-from-hell to restock the fridge with two grumpy, sick children in tow! I didn't use the dried beans stated in the recipe - I found a soup mix which had a variety of dried beans and lentils and it worked a treat. I halved the recipe and still had more than enough, and served it with mashed potato and green beans.


Hearty Winter Lamb Casserole
Meals From The Freezer




1 cup dried haricot beans
1 cup dried kidney beans
2 kgs lamb neck chops
plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium brown onions, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups beef stock
2 cups water
1 cup dry red wine (didn't have any so just used extra water)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 trimmed celery sticks, chopped coarsely
4 large carrots, chopped coarsely
2 large parsnips, chopped coarsely
1 large swede, chopped coarsely
1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


1. Place beans, separately, in medium bowls, over with water; soak overnight, drain. Cook beans in large saucepan of boiling water until tender; drain.
2. Meanwhile, toss lamb in flour, shaking off excess. Heat half of the oil in large heavy-base saucepan; cook lamb, in batched, until browned both sides.
3. Heat remaining oil in same pan; coo onion and garlic, stirring, until onion is soft. Add lamb with stock, water, wine and sauce, bring to a boil; simmer, covered, 1 hour. Add vegetables, simmer, covered 20 minutes. Add beans, simmer, covered about 10 minutes or until vegetables and bans are tender (Can be frozen, as is or in portion, covered, at this stage). Just before serving, stir in parsley.


Serves 8

4 comments:

Sam Marshall said...

My mouth is watering....Looks delicious.
xxx

Iris Flavia said...

14 degrees daytime here... but: we´re heading to summer, yay!
The beans look delicious, so fresh!
My Mum puts bacon around them, quite yummy, too :-)

Nomes said...

I am glad that you were able to get all the ingredients, and I am sure that it was very yummy to eat.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Thanks, Sam. It's a decidedly dodgy photo so I'm glad you still think the meal looks good!

14 degrees? Ugghhh - no thanks LOL. And the bacon sounds good.

Hi Nomes!