Monday, December 29, 2008

End Of Year Meme

Here's a little wrap up of 2008. Trish over at Light. Sweet. Crude posted this meme a week or so ago and I thought it was a nice way to bring the year to a close. The links didn't quite work out but if you click on the words in bold it'll take you to the relevant post.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Moved house twice in one year
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
I don't usually make them so it's probably fair to say I didn't keep any. I am considering making a few for 2009 - yell less, cook more, enjoy the kids more, get more organised.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one especially close but a few friends did welcome babies into their lives, most notably Luka George just a few days before my birthday.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Grandma died but we weren't actually very close.
5. What countries did you visit?
Ha, good joke that one!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Maybe job security? But nothing really.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April - we left Red Dirt Central and came back to Perth. And July, when we finally got our house back.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping my sh!t together. Okay, I don't actually feel like I achieved very much at all this year. Pretty much from when we found out we were moving back to Perth I have been treading water and barely, just barely, keeping my head above the water line. I spent most of the year feeling like it was a constant one step forward, two steps backwards kind of dance. To be honest it was exhausting and I'm looking forward to the new year in a 'wipe the slate clean and start again' kind of way.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Setting myself goals that were just about unachievable. Like with my last job - I set myself a massive goal and truly believed I could achieve it working three days a week in just 16 or so weeks. No one else expected as much from me as I did. Those who I reported to told me repeatedly that I was doing/did a great job, turned things around, got it all back on track, etc but I feel like I didn't achieve everything I set out to which means I failed. Bah, Capricorn perfectionism sucks big-time.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope - just the regular coughs and colds. Coping with Offspring #1's asthma just about wore me out though.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The shelving units for the kids bedrooms. Best. Thing. Ever.
12. Where did most of your money go?
My money or 'our' money?
My money - family holiday to Exmouth, stuff for the house, school uniforms for #1, asthma meds for #2, and books that I should have borrowed from the library but couldn't resist buying.
'Our' money - mortgage, car payments, groceries, bills. All the really exciting stuff.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving back to Perth.
14. What song will always remind you of 2008?
The Proclaimers 'Misery to Happiness'. When we moved back to Perth the kids and I, obviously, spent more time in the car getting from place to place. I have heaps of 80's CD's and played this song for #1 because he used to love it when he was about three. #2 promptly fell in love with it and whenever we hopped into the car she requested the 'uh huh, uh huh song' (sing it to yourself, you'll work out why both kids call it that)
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier all round - We're back in Perth, I'm back in my house and hubby's doing a job he's loving.
b) thinner or fatter?
Hmmm... fatter. I was thinking that I'd just accept it and embrace my 'inner Nigella'. But I can't. So I'm going to cut down on the sugary treats and up the energy output a little and see if I can't burn off just a couple of kilo's. I'm not proclaiming a full-on diet and exercise regime - I think we all know that wouldn't work for me but I'll be making a couple of small tweaks to my lifestyle.
c) richer or poorer?
Probably about the same really.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Stopped cleaning, or tidying or whatever and played with the kids.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Yelled.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
19. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Was already there. I told you about that too.
20. What was your favorite TV program?
Heroes. Or Top Gear (the real one not the Australian rip-off version). And Home and Away - shocking and shameful, I know.
21. What was the best book you read?
You know, I read heaps of books this year but I really don't have one stand out for the year. There were lots that I looked forward to because I liked the author, or the subject material, and they didn't meet my expectations. There were several that I really enjoyed because they were unexpected finds, or sweet, or funny. But there were none that made an amazing impression and left me thinking about them for days like in previous years.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't really watch that many films. Hubby borrows lots of DVD's from the video shop but I tend to blog or read or do housework rather than watch them (he's watching one now while I'm doing this). I guess my favourite was Alvin and The Chipmunks just because we all sat down for a family movie and #1 giggled himself silly the whole way through, which obviously made us giggle too. Sorry, ti was more the experience than the movie.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
24. What kept you sane?
Blogging. Three very good friends in Red Dirt Central. Hubby
25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Still George. Always George. (Clooney obviously!)
Hubby knows that if George lands in our backyard and begs me to share his life I'm outta here. In fact he's given me his blessing - I'm not sure if I should be grateful or insulted!
26. Who did you miss?
The girls from Red Dirt Central, specially Felicity.
27. Who was the best new person you met?
Sarah- I met her through work and she's young, sweet and so funny. She cracks me up and just makes my day a little brighter whenever I see or talk to her.
Because we moved home I didn't necessarily meet a lot of new people but I did get re-aquainted with lots who I didn't know all that well. I have enjoyed getting to know a group of fellow school mums - with kids a variety of ages - and hope that I'll get to know them better next year.

No comments: