Saturday, May 29, 2010

Biggest Morning Tea (at Lunch Time!)

You might remember that I hosted a Biggest Morning Tea in support of the Cancer Council right around this time last year. Over $10,000,000 was raised last year through events just like mine where people got together with some friends, enjoyed a cuppa and donated just a small amount. Well it was so much fun, and for such a great cause, that I decided to do it all again this year and despite a few hurdles - like having to change the date not once but twice, and having it at lunch time rather than mid-morning, as well as all the other going-ons of last week - it finally all came together on Friday.
A few of the kindy mums, neighbours old and new, and some old friends attended and we had two very special guests, 15 day old Miss Charlotte who is the new daughter of one of my oldest friends and 16 day old Master Seth who is the newest foster baby of the former Mrs Across The Road. To say that the babies were warmly welcomed would be a massive understatement - they were cuddled and burped, exclaimed over and passed around and both teeny bundles behaved beautifully.
We had a lovely couple of hours catching up on news, exchanging gossip and getting to know new friends a little better. There were heaps of yummy treats to nibble on and I'd organised a door prize as well as some raffle prizes to help boost the funds being raised. Last year I had 15 people attend so I was a little bit disappointed to not have quite as many this time round (though to be fair that had more to do with me having to change the date than anything else) but we managed to raise even more than last year's total. This year we've already come up with over $100 and I still have a couple of people who are planning to contribute as I see them over the weekend. I'm thinking we'll end up with about $120 and I'm thrilled to have raised that for The Cancer Council simply by having a few friends round for a cuppa and a chat.
Will I do it again next year? You bet!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you! I went to one at local library during the week, I just happened to be there at the time. It had not been well promoted I think, there were only about 6 people there, disappointing!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

thanks for your fund raising efforts I am sure very $ will be appreciated in the fight to raise awareness , cure and comfort those affected.
My husband has just been diagnosed with cancer and the cancer council IN NSW have already been of support to me.

Iris Flavia said...

That truly is a great idea! If cancer only could be beaten! Great that you help in that achievement - and manage to have fun on the way, too!

Ohhh, yes, I look so much forward to my Niece to be born! Babies just are so cute...

Red Dirt Mummy said...

That is disappointing Jen. Maybe next year you'll have to come to mine instead??

Oh Trish, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he kicks it in the guts and has a speedy recovery. Hugs to you all.

Thanks Iris. PS Did the sticker ever turn up? Or shall I pop another one in the mail?