Sunday, November 30, 2008

Oops

I forgot to blog last night! We had a fairly busy day and were out last night but I really did intend to blog before we went out. Oh well!
While the Daddy of the house is away I try to work in a few treats and extra activities to help break up the days and, hopefully, help the time pass a little easier. We tend to do a bit of baking, play in the garden, make a few visits to friends and other such low key, but interesting to littlies, type activities. Last weekend Offspring #2 requested a train trip be added to the agenda so we popped out to undertake that request yesterday. I don't think the poor deprived child had ever been on a train - apart from huge one's carrying iron ore they don't have trains up north!
We caught the train into "Perth City", as it is known in our house, and had a look at the Christmas decorations in the mall. I thought they were quite disappointing but the kids were thrilled and dutifully posed in front of the Christmas Tree in Forrest Chase. (sadly, I can't get Blogger to post the pics... again. This is driving my nuts!)
I treated them to lunch in town - sadly they chose Hungry Jacks, I can see they need to be educated in this matter - and we hopped back on the train and headed home. They had a wonderful time on the train. Both trips were quiet so we had half a carriage to ourselves and they spent most of the trip with their noses glued to the window exclaiming over everything we could see. #1 was especially excited when we were 'racing' the cars on the road beside the train track and when we crossed the river while #2 was almost overcome by the whole experience! I spent most of the trip reminding them to use 'inside voices' and laughing at their delight.
I can see that train trips are going to be requested rather more regularly now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on a train one time--I remeber it so well. My dad took us to Tennessee to visit some of his family and we rode the train back--come to think of it, I don't remember how we got there so maybe I rode the train twice. I loved it. My mom and dad divorced when I was 4 after he got back from Viet Nam so it was a real treat to be with him. Sheila

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandij, So glad to hear you 'pooped' out to undertake that train ride request! XXX Anne

Red Dirt Mummy said...

LOL Anne - so I got the title of the post right then? I've fixed it now...